On September 3, 2015, the Department of Energy (DOE) published a final rule containing changes to the rules that apply to for-profit recipients of financial assistance awards. These changes apply to the DOE supplement to the OMB Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles, and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards. Specifically, the final rule impacts provisions concerning:
- DOE’s title to, and interest in, property purchased by financial assistance recipients with federal funds;
- DOE’s ability to monitor and control the use of federal funds, property purchased with those funds, and any intellectual property developed with such funds;
- Issues relating to novation upon change of control of a recipient;
- Subject invention reporting by recipients;
- Export controls applicable to inventions and technology developed with federal funds; and
- U.S. manufacturing requirements for inventions and technology developed with federal funds.
The final rule takes effect October 5, 2015 and is available at: https://federalregister.gov/a/2015-21693